Mental Dieting

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Mental Dieting

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:30 am

The most important of all factors in your life is the mental diet on which you live. It is the food which you furnish to your mind that determines the whole character of your life. It is the thoughts you allow yourself to think, the subjects that you allow your mind to dwell upon, which make you and your surroundings what they are. As they days, so shall they strength be. Everything in your life today the state of your body, whether healthy or sick, the state of your fortune, whether prosperous or impoverished, the state of your home, whether happy or the reverse, the present condition of every phase of your life in fact-is entirely conditioned by the thoughts and feelings which you have entertained in the past, by the habitual tone of your past thinking. And the condition of your life tomorrow, and next week, and next year, will be entirely conditioned by the thoughts and feelings which you choose to entertain from now onwards.

http://vst.cape.com/~rch/fox.html

The Seven Day Mental Diet was published in 1935. I found out about it in 2007 and thought it was a great idea. But for whatever reason, it just sort of sat around on the ideas shelf for a long time, gathering dust. I saw it as a "nice to do" rather than a "must do."Recently that has changed. I am going to spend the next 7 days mentally dieting as strictly as I possibly can.

I'll update this thread here and there to let anyone who cares know how it is going. Rock Party hard.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Re: Mental Dieting

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:35 am

Adjustment no. 1: having an avatar of a guy readying to blow his brains out seems kinda negative and conjures borderline destructive feelings. Maybe do something about it. study

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:51 pm

As a first step in my mental diet, I must stop reading posts by soylentgreen, who recently started a thread asserting that when protesters talk about "Wall Street Bankers," they really mean "Wall Street Jews." Reading this sort of thing is unhealthy.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:03 pm

That's a big part of why I just don't post on that site and others like it, at all. You go in and you see all sorts of ignorance and raw stupidity. Then you find yourself arguing with people who quite frankly aren't worth the energy it takes to type a sentence. Now it never made me rage like the hulk and smash my keyboard to pieces but I did at time find it frustrating to argue with people who repeat their delusions ad nauseum as though it validated their inane argument about...whatever. You spend all this time and energy typing out sentences to people who can barely read and don't care to learn or exercise critical thinking of any kind and the reward is nothing. I've had this conversation with optifuck before.

Why do you still visit that site? Why did I do the same for years? Or to rephrase it, why do we waste time and energy (both of which are incredibly valuable) on people we don't respect and intensely dislike? Is it just to feel superior? There are times in life when you just can't control who you come into contact with (idiot family members, asshole co-workers, classmates, etc.) and then there are times when you choose to be where you are.

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 pm

To answer your question: for the moment, I'm stuck in an office and it provides a distraction from boredom. This is going to change in about one month. However, that doesn't completely answer the question.

By the way, listening to anything coming from the US government (or any of the Presidential candidates) is no better than reading soylentgreen. It's that stupid. Can you believe Obama and Holder trotting out that idiotic, childish, ridiculous fairy tale about the Iranian "terror plot" and using it as a basis for establishing global policy? This shows really deep contempt for the American people -- to assume that ANYONE would buy into an absurd story like that. You literally cannot be too cynical these days; anything less is unrealistic.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:29 pm

knave wrote:To answer your question: for the moment, I'm stuck in an office and it provides a distraction from boredom. This is going to change in about one month. However, that doesn't completely answer the question.

Indeed. See I got that far in the answer myself and couldn't go any further. At least, in terms of being able to justify what I was doing. Which is why I left. Also I think optifuck had left, Flib was leaving as well and I decided to leave in part as a show of solidarity. And once I got out, I was like "Ahhhh! Holy shit, I'm in such a better mood now that I no longer spend 2-4 hours a day arguing with people I hate." Of course that's just me. Optifuck apparently went back?

I suppose arguing at length, even with strangers on the internet, is a way of venting your frustrations. And we—anyone who pays attention to anything that is going on anywhere in the world—have so many of them. Kind of like blogging, which I have always seen as a therapeutic exercise. Sometimes it's a relief to get things off your chest even when you know no one is really listening.

knave wrote:By the way, listening to anything coming from the US government (or any of the Presidential candidates) is no better than reading soylentgreen. It's that stupid.

Funny you should say that. I completely agree. Actually, the funny thing is the more you listen to a candidate speak at length about...whatever, the less you will actually learn about their policies. Chomsky has a brilliant speech on this. But yeah, I actually genuinely regret torturing myself by listening to State of the Union addresses.

knave wrote:Can you believe Obama and Holder trotting out that idiotic, childish, ridiculous fairy tale about the Iranian "terror plot" and using it as a basis for establishing global policy?

Yes. Easily at this point. Kind of sad to say that but yes, my expectations could not possibly be lower.

knave wrote:This shows really deep contempt for the American people -- to assume that ANYONE would buy into an absurd story like that. You literally cannot be too cynical these days; anything less is unrealistic.

Agreed completely, at least where politicians are concerned. Stefan Molyneux had a decent podcast on this a ways back. Like Chomsky, he's a bit extreme, but he gets right down to the nitty gritty.

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:43 pm

It's the getting it off my chest thing that's important. I drive a lot (until Nov. 23), so I listen to the radio a lot. Then I read about what I've heard, to get the true version. Then I get pissed off and I feel the need to tell someone, or to discuss it, so I don't feel so isolated. Sometimes I feel that my perception of the world is so radically and fundamentally different from the version presented in the media, I sometimes wonder if I'm the crazy one. That's when I have a need to formulate my opinion and write it down -- just to see if I can do it successfully and coherently. I don't really care how others react -- or rather, most others. It's important that people I know and respect don't think I'm nuts. Writing at DA allows me to articulate these angry thoughts and feelings, just to put it into words, which I enjoy and find satisfying. I wish there were more people here -- then I wouldn't even be tempted by DA.

My wife thinks I'm nuts. She thinks I torture myself needlessly by worring about the world. She is just totally cynical and has given up worrying about politicians, and so on. She prefers to focus on her own life and mine. I respect that attitude, but I'm not there yet.
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 am

Tezcatlipoca wrote:Optifuck apparently went back?

Yes. Optifuck went back because Optifuck is...an addict.

In all seriousness, one of the reasons why I visit the site is similar to knave's. I enjoy writing out my thoughts. What I don't enjoy, are the buffoons that frequent the site. But there are a few members there that I genuinely like and respect, and some of those are peeps that I've been communicating with online for years...and it's hard to cut them off for some reason, even though it's "just the internet."

But now, it seems like even those people are leaving or just not posting as much. DA was a much better place a few years ago. Actually, there was a time when DA was a high quality forum - believe it or not. Waaaay back in the day it was quite good. Before you first came there, Tez.

But those days are over. The quality has dropped dramatically, and it's days are numbered really. I too wish there were more people here.

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:32 am

Somewhat off topic ramble forthcoming (not like we were following the OP anyway).

This Fuckin Guy wrote:I wish there were more people here -- then I wouldn't even be tempted by DA.

This Fuckin Guy wrote:I too wish there were more people here.

*tez rambles about web traffic and forum membership*

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : emo faggotry removed)

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 am

knave wrote:My wife thinks I'm nuts. She thinks I torture myself needlessly by worring about the world. She is just totally cynical and has given up worrying about politicians, and so on. She prefers to focus on her own life and mine. I respect that attitude, but I'm not there yet.

That's basically where I'm at now, as you can tell. Thus far it's not been a decision I regret. I'm actually kind of proud of my cynicism; it's helped me get my shit together in terms of sorting out priorities to the point where I now channel a lot of energy into (at least borderline) productive endeavors.

"Stress in life comes from making things more important than they really are.Failure comes from making things less important than they are." Tony Robbins

Word.

This Fuckin Guy wrote:
    Tezcatlipoca wrote:Optifuck apparently went back?

Yes. Optifuck went back because Optifuck is...an addict.

lolfag

This Fuckin Guy wrote:In all seriousness, one of the reasons why I visit the site is similar to knave's. I enjoy writing out my thoughts. What I don't enjoy, are the buffoons that frequent the site. But there are a few members there that I genuinely like and respect, and some of those are peeps that I've been communicating with online for years...and it's hard to cut them off for some reason, even though it's "just the internet."

Understandable. There are a few DA heads I kinda miss, those being the people who were cool and not obnoxiously stupid. So like...lemme think, Zordar, Lulu, Evil Elmo, Jeremix, Saison, Tally and a few others. I invited all of them (and a few others) to HE. Some expressed interest, some created accounts, few stuck around. Again, it's the 0 to 50 inertial deal, imo.

Btw, I just talked to Vic. He's probably gonna be back here at some point.

This Fuckin Guy wrote:But now, it seems like even those people are leaving or just not posting as much. DA was a much better place a few years ago. Actually, there was a time when DA was a high quality forum - believe it or not. Waaaay back in the day it was quite good. Before you first came there, Tez.

I've actually seen this happen twice before on communal sites I really enjoyed being a part of, so I know how it is.

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 am

Getting back on topic (and also touching on the DA tards, etc.) this is one of the best 3:46 of a podcast I've ever listened to. I agree completely word for word with every single observation. Joe Rogan is a smart motherfucker.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BALLS)

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 am

Tez: I appreciate your efforts and I understand that each of us bears some responsibility to make it better. So thank you.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Party hard anon.

This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Hey, I've invited peeps here Oi!

ban jerefuck
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Also, the concept of mental dieting is interesting and I fully intend to read the content posted in the link and then make an attempt to contribute my thoughts on the actual topic of this thread.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:29 pm

You know, I am somewhat embarrassed to have missed the second to last paragraph which clearly reads:

A closing word of caution-Do not tell anyone else that you are on the diet, or that you intend to go on it. Keep this tremendous project strictly to yourself. Remember that your soul should be the Secret Place of the Most High. When you have come through the seven days successfully, and secured your demonstration, allow a reasonable time to elapse to establish the new mentality, and then tell the story to anyone else who you think is likely to be helped by it.

With that said....eh, sharing is caring. Thus far it is not a decision I have had real reason to regret.

This Fuckin Guy wrote:Also, the concept of mental dieting is interesting and I fully intend to read the content posted in the link and then make an attempt to contribute my thoughts on the actual topic of this thread.

Yes, and by God, don't just read it, take 7 days from allowing negative bullshit to be pumped directly into your brain and do the diet yourself. It has only been 3 days or so and already I feel that from a consciousness perspective, I'm getting to a place I've rarely been before. It's kind of hard to explain except to say this diet has really got me thinking about thinking and focusing on focusing. I could elaborate but I'm sure everyone is going to have their own subjective experiences so I wouldn't presume to be able to speak at length on what exactly you will get out of it. I can however say you will get something out of it.

The tough part is getting past the frustration of fucking up—and you will, constantly, for at least the first 48 hours. And the real goal should be to go 7 whole days without empowering a negative thought. That is what I am shooting for, which means the diet may last 6 months. I am fine with that, in fact I rather intend to keep up with it as best I can even without making the full effort I am at present. Obviously conventional dieting doesn't work as people gain all their weight back once it comes to an end. Ergo, the best diets aren't really diets at all, they're lifelong commitments to fitness and health. The cool thing here is once you get out of your state of limited mental and emotional capacity, you won't want to go back. Ever.

It's empowering to fully accept the hypothesis of mental nutrition. You are what you eat; I know few intelligent people who would argue with that. If you eat junk, your body will look and feel like junk. Why should your mind be an exception! Feed your body healthy things, feed your mind healthy things. It's funny because all of this seems so simple and self evident, yet I can honestly say until recently I didn't take pains to stay mindful of mental nutrition because I just didn't see it as a priority. That's pretty absurd and it feels good to be at a place where I can appreciate the progress I've made in just 3 days.

Btw, I have kind of been neglecting this thread in terms of its original stated purpose since we got considerably off topic. Thus I have been using the HE Twitter page as a place to store my mental notes. It's cool because I've been getting a lot of retweets and positive feedback. What an amazing feeling it is to know that—on whatever humble level—you are empowering others with your example.

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Also, I agree, ban jerefuck.

First we have to get him to come back though! Tongue

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 am

bmup fro teh lulz

Just had to update this thread to say this is officially one of the most empowering exercises in self improvement I've ever done. You get such incredible momentum; once you start, you don't want to stop. You get perspective with distance and you see who and what you used to be. Even just going down the list of things I've scribbled on the HE twitter page is really kind of eye opening. You feel genuinely proud of the progress you've made and want to work hard to preserve it. It's like going from extremely out of shape to looking like a Men's Fitness cover model. Who the hell is going to want to go back to what they were before? You get all these tools for dealing with other people's bullshit and negativity because you're forced to develop them if you want to rise to the challenge of the diet.

How cleansed I feel, to go back and see the patterns that were once there in my thinking that just aren't there any more. It's like colonics for the mind. Over the course of a lifetime, there's all this shit that gets pumped into your brain and stays there. Specifically, if you hear someone else's voice in your head long enough, it becomes your voice and you start to believe it's true even though on some level you know it isn't. Or rather, you act like it's true. Think of all the people not living up to their potential because some asshole parent or guidance counselor told them to lower their sights.

Anyway, I strongly endorse this protocol for not only improving the quality of your life but the lives of everyone around you. Party hard. Party

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:02 am

I need to pay more attention to this subject. I'm about to embark on a new career path, with my own business and I need a lot more mental discipline.

I think that my interest in world politics is unhealthy in that these things affect me only negatively. Everytime I learn something about world affairs, I get more pissed off. I have to ask myself: Do I enjoy being pissed off? If so, why? Does it make me feel smart, virtuous, or is anger somehow satisfying? Wouldn't it be better overall to take an interest in things that make me feel good, that allow me to let go of the anger?

I practice some disciplines that make me feel good, like biking and reading fiction/poetry, so I don't ignore this aspect. However, I do bounce back and forth like a ping pong ball between activities that make me feel relaxed and serene and those that make me feel enraged and anxious.
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:16 am

So Tez, did this experiment change your thoughts on "The Secret" at all?

(I'm working on this at the moment btw...but I'm trying to substitute negative thoughts with positive visualizations -- if only because it seems to help stop negative thoughts for me.)
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:54 am

knave wrote:I have to ask myself: Do I enjoy being pissed off? If so, why? Does it make me feel smart, virtuous, or is anger somehow satisfying? Wouldn't it be better overall to take an interest in things that make me feel good, that allow me to let go of the anger?

Excellent question! And this is where I expect most people to cynically roll their eyes but Tony Robbins—yes, that Tony Robbins—has a really good lecture on meeting the six human needs. This is seriously worth watching. I'd say it's a much better use of 20 minutes than say, arguing with DamnYankee on rtville.

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 am

This Fuckin Guy wrote:So Tez, did this experiment change your thoughts on "The Secret" at all?

Yes and no. I mean, I never entirely disagreed with the premise of the secret in terms of focus equaling reality. I just see it in different terms. I strongly doubt that thoughts are sent and received on frequencies that can alter the probability of say, winning the lottery. But! I have always seen our physical realities as manifestations of our thoughts.

Basically I see it like this:

1) Thinking is just a process of asking and answering questions in our head over and over again. We think all day, every day.
    2) There are certain questions we ask continually. Not every question is a good question; it's like leading a witness in court. If you ask yourself "Why am I so stupid?" you aren't going to get a good answer. You're going to get "Because I'm a worthless idiot." And it's important to note, a lot of times that voice isn't even your own. It's somebody else's that you allowed to stay there too long, at which point it became your voice.
    3) Any time you ask the same question over and over again, and answer it the same way every time, it will become a belief. We have limiting beliefs and empowering beliefs. Happy people have better beliefs than others because they ask themselves better questions and thus, get better answers.
    4) Beliefs determine our actions. This is just so obvious. Beliefs are what separate a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan from a Mother Theresa.
    5) Any action you take over and over again will become a habit.
    6) Habits, good and bad, shape our physical reality. Overeating, smoking, arguing with idiots as a means of venting pent up aggression, exercising, etc.

By the way, I did download a copy of The Secret the other day and plan on writing a full review for the HE blog. Actually, I'm thinking of doing like a "Book of the Week/Month/Year" type of deal as a regular column.

This Fuckin Guy wrote:(I'm working on this at the moment btw...but I'm trying to substitute negative thoughts with positive visualizations -- if only because it seems to help stop negative thoughts for me.)

That sounds like a great idea. In fact, I'm gonna try it myself. Pharaoh See, the only thing that fucks you up is the mundane shittiness of life. Like I just auctioned some collectible cards on eBay and the final bid ended up being half of what they were worth. And now the guy who won the auction won't even pay me or respond to my emails and I have to wait another day before I can file an official complaint. It's not life changing or earth shaking drama, it's just...shitty. It's one of those situations where you just don't see a silver lining to the cloud. It's kinda been eating away at my thoughts for the past two days and I've had a hard time not lingering on my resentment for people like this. It actually had me questioning whether I want to continue using the site for a minute there. In order to avoid letting one bad experience ruin it for me, I need to focus on what I do want instead of what I don't want and visualization is one way of doing that quite effectively.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:39 am

Another great video by Tony Robbins. I hope I am not coming across as some kind of shill or cultist devotee. I just think these specific videos are worth taking seriously.

This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Tezcatlipoca wrote:Another great video by Tony Robbins. I hope I am not coming across as some kind of shill or cultist devotee.

Not at all. But because this is slightly out of character for you, it actually is making me pay more attention.

I've seen that TED talk before. It's quite good. I like Tony Robbins. Hey, I even had a Tony Robbins avatar at retardville for a while.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 am