Gegard Mousasi is pretty fucking ill

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Gegard Mousasi is pretty fucking ill

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:27 pm

This dude has been on my radar for some time now. He's an extremely good striker who is also a Judo black belt. He moves like water both standing and grappling. Take this fight for example. Journeyman Steve Mensing was hopelessly outmatched here. So much so that this almost isn't worth watching except to see how amazingly well Mousasi moved on the ground after surgically dissecting his opponent on the feet. Great hip movement. Some of the best I've ever seen from a 205 pounder. He has a bit of a padded record from fighting a bunch of bums early in his career but you see that constantly in boxing so I say get over it already.

There's been a lot of speculation as to how he would do in the UFC. I have to say, as big a fan of his as I am, right now the 205 lb. division in the UFC is the deepest it has ever been. There are SO many guys in contention. Even the second tier guys are still way better than pretty much anything you'll find in Strikeforce or Dream. The UFC also has some of the best wrestlers at 205 and wrestling seemed to be a bit of an achilles heel in his loss vs. King Mo. The fight was incredibly boring; so much it I don't even really think it's worth posting. It almost reminded me of a Matt Lindland victory; lots of lay-and-pray. But Mousasi is obviously a very intelligent fighter and amazing athlete. I expect him to get way better as time goes on. At 26, he's got probably another 10 years in him.

The fight that really blew me away was this complete domination of Renato "Babalu" Sobral. Babalu is a BAD motherfucker with notable wins over Chael Sonnen and Mauricio Rua, just to name a few. Very experienced, very tough and very well rounded. And Mousasi walked through him like he was nothing. Impressive to say the least.

knave
    Pleb

Re: Gegard Mousasi is pretty fucking ill

Post  knave on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for that. I had never watched this particular dude.

What do you think about Jon Jones vs. Machita?

I haven't seen Jones but I really enjoy watching Machita, and he seems to be an exceptionally good guy.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Excellent question. That could be its own thread in a bit. For now I'll just say I too am a big Machida fan. He's the thinking man's fighter; it saddens me when people boo his fights. Americans do this more than any other audience, with the exception of the UK where MMA fans tend to be xenophobic skinhead tards. The interesting thing is people never, ever boo a fight in Japan, no matter how long and uneventful. It's an interesting culture over there.

Anyway! To answer the question, I think Machida has his hands full with Bones. I think Bones could reign for a long time as LHW champ, which is really saying something. The belt passed from Jackson to Griffin to Evans to Lyoto to Rua to Jones. None of them held it very long as the competition is just that stiff, the edge over the next guy just that narrow. Any one of those guys could be the champion of any 205 lb. division outside the UFC. If Bones has a run of title defenses like Silva, and several intelligent people have postulated he will, that is just going to be so, so insane. He could be like the Anderson, Fedor or GSP of the 205 division—the absolute best of the best.

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:19 pm

So do you think Lyoto has a chance to beat him, or is it impossible?
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Oh, he's definitely got a shot. He's gotten so much better in the last 2 years alone. I just can't really handicap the fight numbers wise. At least, not yet. I have to go back and watch some more of Jones.

As a rule of thumb, I'd say the longer a fight goes on, the more insane, unforeseen, almost unbelievable shit can happen; I guess that's why they call them the championship rounds. Particularly with intelligent fighters who spot patterns very quickly as they go along. Kazushi Sakuraba's hour and a half long dismantling of Royce Gracie in their un-timed Pride Grand Prix bout has to be the best example of this. The exception is obviously heavyweight fights were the longer they go on, the less eventful they become as dudes gas out and circle each other for minutes on end or linger lifelessly in the guard waiting for a restart. This happens at every weight class of course, heavyweights just blow up way faster and harder.

But yeah, if this goes to the third round or so and Jones gets even a little sloppy, I don't think there are too many people in the world who could punish him for it better than Machida. He's like a shark smelling blood from a mile away. He has a great sense for when to go all in.

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:00 pm

He sure smelled Rampage Jackson's blood.
    knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Marisa Monte is (in my opinion) the best singer in Brazil (and I think she's the best popular singer on earth). Anyway, Anderson Silva appears in her newest video, called "Ainda Bem" ("Still Fine").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7M89YJAPhM&feature=feedu

He's a very good dancer.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:44 pm

knave wrote:Marisa Monte is (in my opinion) the best singer in Brazil (and I think she's the best popular singer on earth). Anyway, Anderson Silva appears in her newest video, called "Ainda Bem" ("Still Fine").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7M89YJAPhM&feature=feedu

He's a very good dancer.

So I am just now getting around to seeing this and...I must concur. Dude was born to move gracefully! Dance

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:36 am

Knocking out Ronaldo Souza from flat on his back

Full fight

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 pm