Overeem vs. Lesner

knave
    Pleb

Overeem vs. Lesner

Post  knave on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Who will win this matchup between two steroid-fueled behemoths? One gigantic dude is afraid of getting hit and the other gigantic dude is pretty slow, clumsy and uncoordinated at grappling.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Lesner will take the big slow dude down and submit him.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Re: Overeem vs. Lesner

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:56 pm

knave wrote:Who will win this matchup between two steroid-fueled behemoths?

Overeem will destroy Lesnar. Complete domination, annihilation and humiliation. Lesnar won't land a single punch and will look like a complete amateur. Overeem has almost 10 times as many fights as Lesnar and has beaten some stiff competition along the way. He also hasn't lost a fight since turning heavyweight, but then again, most of his recent opponents have not been anywhere near UFC level competitors.

knave wrote:One gigantic dude is afraid of getting hit and the other gigantic dude is pretty slow, clumsy and uncoordinated at grappling.

I'm assuming the former refers to Lesnar, the latter to Overeem? I strongly disagree, though I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that based on his most recent outing with Werdum which was awkward at best. Overeem has a pretty underrated ground game, imo. I see him as being like a heavyweight Forrest Griffin in that regard—he doesn't look to take the fight to the ground but his Jiu-Jitsu is actually very good. But this also touches on a key difference between Overeem and Lesnar—intelligence. He knew enough to treat Werdum's ground game with respect and even fear. I expect Lesnar to be dumb enough to do the opposite, i.e., stand and trade with Overeem after his first few shots get stuffed.

I do agree with the observation Lesnar is afraid of getting hit and tends to recoil and cower a la Bob Sapp when someone starts tagging him. I blame inexperience, obv.

knave wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say that Lesner will take the big slow dude down and submit him.

Overeem is the 2005 ADCC Euro champion. Not sure if you follow Abu Dhabi at all but the guys who compete there are unquestionably the best in the world on the ground. Vitor Belfort, another guy with underrated Jiu-Jitsu, bronze medaled the absolute division in 2001 and Overeem has a sub win over him.

I do think Lesnar is stronger than Overeem even now (Lesnar benched 675 at the height of his roid abuse) so it is conceivable he will somehow muscle into an early submission but I see it almost certainly going the other way, especially if the fight goes past the first round.

TL;DR: Overeem by Guillotine in the first round or TKO in the second round, when Brock gasses out and just lies there as Overeem pummels him.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Well, I defer to your judgment on this (and all things MMA). I haven't seen much of Overeem except some youtube excerpts, in which he didn't really impress me with athleticism and didn't seem very quick. I really have no idea. I am thinking that Lesner, being pretty fast for a big guy, might be able to rush him and tackle him before he gets tagged with a big punch, but I'm probably wrong. If he tries to stand and punch, or ends up standing and punching, he's toast.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:32 pm

knave wrote:Well, I defer to your judgment on this (and all things MMA). I haven't seen much of Overeem except some youtube excerpts, in which he didn't really impress me with athleticism and didn't seem very quick. I really have no idea. I am thinking that Lesner, being pretty fast for a big guy, might be able to rush him and tackle him before he gets tagged with a big punch, but I'm probably wrong. If he tries to stand and punch, or ends up standing and punching, he's toast.

Well, you're totally right about that being a very real possibility. Like if someone had asked me to handicap the Sonnen-Silva fight, I'd have predicted Chael to give an account of himself but couldn't possibly imagine he would dominate the way that he did. Part of that is just the fact that Silva was injured and Sonnen was jacked up on steroids. But I mean, that could very well be the case in Lesnar-Overeem.

Personally I am really glad there is going to be a fight of this scale in the heavyweight division because the heavyweights are a fucking joke right now. Like, half of them aren't even in shape. And I don't mean weak cardio (though there is that), I mean they look like they wandered into the octagon from a Wendy's drive through.

knave
    Pleb

Post  knave on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Speaking of Silva, Sonnen was trash talking after his last victory.

I predict that Silva will be highly motivated and obliterate Sonnen should they meet again.

Also, I am not counting on Overeem v Lesnar actually happening, but I hope it does. In any case, I think dos Santos will whup any of them.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:52 pm

knave wrote:I predict that Silva will be highly motivated and obliterate Sonnen should they meet again.

Agreed, Silva is also a very intelligent fighter. Definitely someone who learns from his mistakes. He's only really lost three times and he's never lost the same way twice.

Mildly amusing Sonnen promo.

Also, I agree. Junior is pretty ill. Like most, I first took notice of him when he demolished CroCop, at the time still an impressive feat. It's kind of sad to see CroCop, a guy people were in awe of almost the way they were in awe of Fedor, sink as low as he has. Sad:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 pm