Thoughts on the execution of Troy Davis

Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Thoughts on the execution of Troy Davis

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:46 am

Do you have any?

I am theoretically opposed to the death penalty but remain strangely undisturbed when a violent criminal is actually put to death by the state. I feel as though the barbarism of capital punishment in practice ought to upset me on a more visceral level. But it doesn't. bleh:

Lysser
    Newfag

Re: Thoughts on the execution of Troy Davis

Post  Lysser on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 am

Well it's not all that surprising that you didn't feel this on a more visceral level since we have become desensitized to most horrible and violent things that happen to humans. I mean, we're in a war for crying out loud, and no one gives a shit when they do their 10-second blurb on the news of all the people who died today. I think it's just honest of you to say such a thing, when most people can get hypersensitive with an issue like this, no matter what side of the fence they're on.

I think most people are upset not just for the death of Troy Davis but at the errors and flaws in our justice system. I mean, if you were going to feel all unjust deaths at a visceral level, you would be endlessly depressed every day. In the end, I don't think the death penalty makes the victims of a crime feel much better, at least I wouldn't anyway. The pain is still there. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were directly affected; I dunno. One person made a comment online that, "Hey as long as they find someone to punish for it..." Um, yeah.

I think people would be way more sensitive to death and the value of life if our wars were fought on our doorsteps. Hell, even during the Civil War, it wasn't felt as strongly until Matthew Brady pasted his war pictures of the dead up in public. Some called it horrific and insensitive. Horrific, sure. Insensitive, maybe. But it definitely made us open our eyes to things that we would like to pretend don't exist so we don't have those icky depressing thoughts.

I think about life and death a lot, more so since I technically declared myself an atheist and more so since the death of my beloved grandfather. Once you die, that's it. I think more people would put value on the lives we have NOW if they weren't just laboring through this life to get to their divine eternity in heaven. /rant

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 am