Devastating Flooding in the northeast-- here is a perspective from Pennsylvania

Lysser
    Newfag

Devastating Flooding in the northeast-- here is a perspective from Pennsylvania

Post  Lysser on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Well, this is a bit surreal. My hometown county of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania has been declared a disaster area, along with surrounding counties. The county in which I often work, Bradford County, is also a disaster area. We are experiencing flooding at all-time records. This is worse than the historic floods caused by hurricane Agnes in 1972. It's sad because most of the areas flooded are not even in the flood plain, and therefore, people have no flood insurance. Some acquaintances' homes have been completely washed away or SO devastated by water that it will take forever to rebuild. I will be volunteering my weekends in order to help friends re-build and clean up.

Most branches of the Susquehanna river are going to be cresting more than double the "flood stage". I hear that in one area the flood stage is 22 feet, and the water is estimated to crest at 40.7 feet.

My hometown where I graduated from high school has been completely evacuated. I cannot get to my ill grandmother to take care of her because of this, so she is home alone, and we're just hoping she can fend for herself until the water levels go down and we can pass the roads.

Many cemeteries are washing away and headstones are gone and caskets exposed or washing away.

Obviously the flood water is disgusting. It contains bacteria, sewage, oil, pollutants, and other such things. NASTY. When the water levels go down, all this shit will be in people's homes.

http://www.variety977.com/pages/stormalert.html

This is a link to a picture of a bridge collapsed in the area.

This is a town 45 minutes from me from where I graduated high school.

Ford dealership nearby, just down the street a bit from a hospital.

That tower right there is the courthouse from which I often work. I was there at 10:30 AM yesterday before people told me to get the fuck out of there. I had to go about 40 miles north out of my way in order to go south again back home.

The only good news is that the ducks seem unaffected. Huzzah for the ducks.

I have a co-worker who just moved up here from Texas. Her family is 10 miles from the Texas wildfires, where they haven't seen rain in months, and now she comes up here just in time for the most devastating flood in our history. Lucky gal!

Newfag

Re: Devastating Flooding in the northeast-- here is a perspective from Pennsylvania

Post  Lysser on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

My favorite amusement park

Road in a town called Montoursville, Pennsylvania-- My mother used to live out this way.

Noobku

Re: Devastating Flooding in the northeast-- here is a perspective from Pennsylvania

Post  This Fuckin Guy on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:33 am

Wow. That's terrible. I never know what to say in situations like this, except that I hope you all recover as quickly as possible and I wish you the best. I've never had to deal with a flood before. The bacteria, pollution, oil, sewage being in the water and soon in people's houses is a horrible thought. That collapsed bridge is something else.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 am

Woah! That fucking sucks. I also suck at finding the right words to express my condolences but yeah, that is fucking brutal. And the shitty thing is most home insurance policies don't cover flood damage.

Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Precisely. Some had flood insurance who live in the flood plains, but these waters obviously reached land that would never be considered to flood.

Everyone is sort of banding together to help, but it's going to take time. I'm supposed to go to the courthouse tomorrow to obtain some documents, and every way I can get there from includes at least 1 road closure. This will be an interesting week.

Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Just as a point of clarification, when you say your mother used to live there, you meant that as in distant past tense? I.e., you and your immediate family were not forced to relocate by the flooding?

Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Correct. She no longer lives out that way. We were not directly affected (lots of water in the basement, but that always happens with a good rainfall). She lived out that road about 2 years ago, and if she were still there, she would have been stranded or had to have been rescued by the National Guard. That road is completely gone, and so are all bridges going in and out of the area. Many houses were lifted right off of their foundations and carried down the creek.

None of my direct family was affected (whew!). Many of my friends were (boo!). Lots of clean up efforts and donations going on.

Thanks for your concern, though. :)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 am